Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Cable Tray

  1. #1
    Inactive Member SamC's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2002
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Does any one know if cables in verticle runs of tray need to be P-clamped or is ty-wrapping still acceptable? Last summer we had a temp electrician working in our plant and he was using P-clamps on all his verticle runs, stating this was a code rule. I never thought anything of this as I was not on this project until recently, when I ty-wrapped some cables on a verticle run and was reminded of this so called rule. I,ve checked my code book and can't find such a rule.

    ------------------

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner electric-ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2001
    Posts
    191
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sam, I don't see any rule that specifies what should be used to fasten the cables.
    12-120(2) states that "conductors in vertical raceways shall be supported independently of their terminal connections" ---- "without injury to the conductors or their coverings".

    I would say it would depend on the weight of the cables, the height of the vertical part of the run, and the strength of the ty-raps available.

    Support spacing is specified in Table 21.

    Metal fasteners are usually not permitted for single-conductor cables carrying aver 400 amps to prevent induction heating.

    Ed

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •